Friday, October 2, 2009

Borlase Story

So my first Ink story was on the death of Spenser Borlase and how it affected his team - the U of R Rams. Got some breaking news That the Rams are honouring Borlase with a locker-for-life and dedicating this season to his memory, which came from their Welcome(rookie) supper this week.

Some interesting points from the story:
-Borlase was a guy with a future with the Rams, he was being redshirted but so were 20 out of 24 newcomers, including former junior stars like Busby and Yausie (both ex-Saskatoon Hilltops and now starters with the Rams).

- Coach McCrystal is a busy guy. yeah apparently. Because when I asked the rams secretary to talk to him for a few minutes about Borlase, his reply was "does it have to be me?"

Atleast D coordinator Paul Dawson talked to me, but when I asked to take a picture of Borlase's locker there was some hesitancy, so I settle for a picture of a player's helmet with the Borlase decal on it. And Dawson also mentioned that Frank was a busy man but a good guy. So there's
hope for the next story, maybe if the topic isn't so serious.

-McConkey and Bennett were good guys to talk to. Bennett brought out some good quotes. And man is he ever a big kid, I say kid because he's got the face of a 14-year-old but he's definitely over 300 lbs. While McConkey had some good stories to tell about the team, none of which I will repeat of course. They're both very good players. Both started as redshirt freshman last year. McConkey is currently leading the team in receiving with 236 yards.

No comments:

Post a Comment